Erk – Echo Romeo Kilo One One
If you haven’t been paying attention, Erk is the host of Erk Pod. His NaPodPoMo show is called Echo Romeo Kilo One One. Having said that, he has experience in daily shows having done Erk Pod Mini for 5 months earlier this year. As a result of that, he thought that he would invite Drue the co-host, Squeak and Orange Tim along for the ride.
The aim of Erk’s show for NaPodPoMo aka Nannapoopoo was to provide an entertaining show, get out and about with his Zoom H4 recorder as well as to speak to a different person each day.
Midway through November, Erk decided that Echo (as the show has being known as) would continue beyond November albeit not daily. It will continue with at least weekly episodes (for now) with previously recorded Erk Pod content being included first. The type of show that Echo is going to become is a solo mobile/outdoor based show with Erk Pod becoming a studio based show with co-host Drue and the rest of the Erk Pod Podcasting Commando Team.
During November, Erk took his listeners to work on the trains. He also took us on a ferry ride amongst other things. More of this outdoor mobile recording will be continued into 2009.
Erk also tried to interview a different person each daily and he was able to do this for 3 out of the 4 weeks. The chats were interesting with Erk’s idea not to ask the same questions each day based on his knowledge of the person he was talking to or the situation the interviewee was in.
Below are links to the audio for each day.
- 01 November
- 02 November
- 03 November
- 04 November
- 05 November
- 06 November
- 07 November
- 08 November
- 09 November
- 10 November
- 11 November
- 12 November
- 13 November
- 14 November
- 15 November
- 16 November
- 17 November
- 18 November
- 19 November
- 20 November
- 21 November
- 22 November
- 23 November
- 24 November
- 25 November
- 26 November
- 27 November
- 28 November
- 29 November
- 30 November GOAL!
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – Episode 1. 19 minutes
Welcome to episode 1 of Erk’s NaPodPoMo (National Podcast Post Month) show Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode, Erk introduces himself & Erk Pod. Also on this episode Erk answers some train questions and speaks to someone as he intends to do each day in November.
Various train questions were asked by David van Sunder of the Millionaires or Bust from the “Millionaire or Bust” podcast. There will be more questions from David tomorrow.
These questions included:
- Who controls the trains?
- Is there an equalivant to Air Traffic Control?
- Who switches the trains from one track to another
- What fuel powers your train? (Minor correction, on London Underground, the nominal voltage is 630V DC)
Some of these questions were answered by Erk Pod co-host Drue who is the first guest on Echo Romeo Kilo One One. Drue also tells us about his preparations for NaPodPoMo as he is taking part as well. Erk also updates you on the other Erk Pod panelists who are NaPodPoMo’ing, Orange Tim & Squeak.
If you have any questions or comments, leave a comment or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 2. 20 minutes
- G’day from one of my favourite hangouts, live on location at Westiefield Penrith.
- Alternate names for Westiefield
- Brief Westiefield history and current overview
- Why Erk comes to Westiefield
- London now has a Westiefield
- Update from day 1 & day 2 of NaPodPoMo from the point of view of the Erk Pod participants
- Train myth time. More questions from David van Sunder from the Millionaire or Bust podcast. If you have a train question or myth, email email@example.com
- Different names for train drivers from across the world
- Today’s questions were about controls, gauges and seating.
- Erk is joined by Squeak who is on duty at his local Fire Control Centre.
- What happens when someone mentions the “Q” word (sorry, Drue! LOL)
- Update on Squeak’s NaPodPoMo podcast “A Podcast for November”
- Does Squeak sit up or sit down?
- What Squeak does in a tunnel
- Siren (not one of Squeak’s!)
- Changing drivers enroute
- Goodnight interweb!
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 3. 25 minutes.
In this episode:
- Erk has a migraine but prefers to call it a mee-graine
- Erk can’t swallow tablets
- Erk tries to get rid of his mee-graine
- Linkage FAIL
- Biggest website day ever yesterday
- Erk Pod Podcast Commando Team NaPodPoMo update
- Captain Obvious makes his Echo Romeo Kilo debut
- Erk goes back to work today
- Special Guest Orange Tim talking about his podcast and a lot more
- Today’s Train Myth – Railway Photography (your milage may vary outside Sydney)
- Seeking permission for photography
- Melbourne Cup and Melbourne Cup sweeps
Welcome to episode 4 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. Today is horse racing’s day of days, the Melbourne Cup. This 3200 metre race is held on the first Tuesday in November each year.
Today’s guest is Shelle who is an old mate of Erk’s. She shares her experience of being at the Melbourne Cup in the security and first aid fields, gives us a weather report and a lot more.
We then talk briefly about the other race that is on for Tuesday 4 November, the US Presidential race. But because we are Australian, we don’t have any news yet because it is late Monday night in the US.
Today’s busted train myth is “trains don’t have steering wheels.”
Welcome to episode 5 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode I thought that I would speak to an American as the counting in the US elections continues and what better American to talk to than author and podcaster Tee Morris.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 6. 28 minutes
Welcome to episode 6 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One.
On today’s show:
- Special guest BJ the Research Guy live on location
- Erk has a communications and rostering rant
- Today’s train myth about powering and braking
- Feedback from our listeners and giving BJ a rundown at the same time. BJ adds his opinions to those already expressed.
This is the most political that you will hear Tee as we compare the Australian and US voting systems and find out about the process involved where Tee voted. You can see pictures and read more at http://www.teemorris.com DING! including his post which inspired today’s episode here.
And Tee has a bell now, folks! DING! Erk was going to get one the other day but forgot.
We also get an update about the counting and how it is progressing.
In today’s train myth, Tee asks Erk if it is possible to derail a train using a coin. To Erk’s knowledge, that has not happened and this page from interweb myth busters Snopes seems to back that up. But if I am proven wrong, I’ll be happy to fess up. But please DO NOT place ANYTHING on the train tracks!
In this episode:
- Erk is live on location at Westiefield (again)
- The story of Riley Street between stage 1 and stage 2
- The local Boys & Girls in Blue have a look from their car (twice!) at Erk and probably wonder what he is doing
- Special Guest: Leigh the Voice Over Guy
- Leigh talks about being a Voice Over Guy & Radio
- Today’s train myth: Train drivers don’t read timetables (we do!)
- Leigh talks us through timetabling for special events and normal day to day timetables
- Will Leigh be back on radio for Xmas Day this year?
- Bonus – The Voice Over Guy Off. Vote for Orange Tim or Leigh the Voice Over Guy via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Echo Romeo Kilo One One, episode 9. 45 minutes
In this episode:
- Erk takes us for a ride in his train “Tour Bus” style on the Inner West line with commentary throughout.
- Today’s train myth: Drivers do not (usually) make announcements and they certainly do not open and close the doors.
- Today’s guest is Luke who appeared on Erk Pod Round Table 8. He is at the Newtown Festival that is being held today.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 10. 69 minutes
In this episode, Erk is joined by Richard Jeffries, host of the Wasting Time podcast. Longest. Echo Romeo Kilo One One. Ever!
In this episode, Erk and Richard chat about ranting, the US election, movies, Nannapoopoo/NaPodPoMo, movies, motor racing and more.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 11. 51 minutes
Episode 11 – 51 minutes
Welcome to episode 11 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One.
In this episode:
- New announcement about Echo after Nannapoopoo
- Rememberance Day. LEST WE FORGET
- Peanut Erk forgot the theme music yesterday
- Today’s interview is with Grizzly from the Grizzly’s Growls podcast. He is in a bar and we are later joined by Random Drunk Guy (Mike).
- Train Tour & Factoid – City Circle
Echo Romeo Kilo One One: http://www.echoromeokilooneone.com
Grizzly’s Growls podcast: http://www.grizzlysgrowls.com
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – 37 minutes
Welcome to episode 12 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One recorded live on location at Penrith railway station and Westiefield. In this episode:
- Live on location from Penrith station. This segment is my train talk out of the way sorted!
- Overview of the station and my attachment to it. This is part one about the station with part 2 to follow tomorrow.
- Today’s Guest could have been Squeak who called me during recording but he has been on Echo already and my aim is to speak to a different person each day.
- Today’s Guest could have been Nathan but he didn’t answer his phone.
- Today’s Guest ended up being Big Jay who Erk called. Big Jay and Erk have known each other for years and Jay appeared on a recent Erk Pod Round Table
- Jay describes his day (I’m a poet and I’ll be here all week! I recommend the T-bone & chips!) as a truck driver
- Feedback from Tiggr who appeared on Erk Pod Round Table 10. She was following Erk’s train trip on Echo 9 on Google Maps which was rather cool.
- Feedback from BJ the Research Guy who has been catching up on Nannapoopoo shows and gave comments to Erk yesterday.
- More feedback to follow tomorrow.
- Erk returns to Westiefield but not before getting another phone call
- Update about Stephen’s NaPodPoMo book featuring Erk & Drue. Drue lives on beyond Chapter 2!
- Lans from My Novel Approach is doing both NaPodPoMo and NaNoWriMo and is writing a book based on a radio station in Chicago. Shawno from (Hyper Nonsense and Shawnogram) has a character based on him and it is a hoot. Thanks to Lans who allowed me to play a snippet describing Shawno’s character and also an extract from the book.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 13. 57 minutes.
On this episode:
- Correction regarding yesterday’s Penrith station piece
- More listener feedback from BJ the Research Guy, Shawno, Jen, Richard, Orange Tim & Shelle
- More about the Harry Pottersphere’s Erkling.
- Part 2 of Erk’s look at Penrith railway station.
- Promo: Inside My Head
- Guest: Nathan. During the chat with Nathan, we talk about mobile phones, iPhones, Nathan working for himself, Erk Pod, go karting and more.
- If you are after web hosting or domain registration, contact Nathan via Simtronic Technologies and mention that you heard him on Echo or Erk Pod and he will look after you.
Above – Penrith Signal Box
Above – Looking towards Penrith railway station from the northern side.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 14.
Welcome to episode 14 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. On this episode Erk is joined by special guest Pat aka @limburger2001 aka Donut Boy. In this episode:
- How Erk & Pat met
- What is a Limburger, anyway?
- Being a scientist, a code monkey and a Simpsons fan
- Feedback from Jen (Inside My Head/Hyper Nonsense)
- Phone FAIL
- Promo: Erotica a la Carte
- Harry Shearer’s podcast “Le Show”
- Listening to Erk Pod and keeping up with Nannapoopoo/NaPodPoMo
Echo Romeo KIlo One One – episode 15. 31 minutes
Welcome to episode 15 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode:
- Yay! We made it to halfway through NaPodPoMo!
- 3 part on the job special starting on Monday with Echo 17 recorded today
- Get Well soon, Richard!
- Train story of the day: Medicals.
- How Erk found out he needs glasses.
- Guest: Ajay who appeared on Erk Pod 155. He is live at Bar Camp Sydney. We get a quick overview of proceedings and talk to some guests (full guests details to follow)
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 16. 40 minutes
Welcome to episode 16 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One.
In this episode:
- 3 days to go of Super Duper Early Mornings
- There is a signaller (apart from Drue!) who has a sense of humour
- Erk would love to know how far you are behind. This episode was recorded on the afternoon of Sunday 16 November. When did you hear it? Email email@example.com or leave a comment on the show notes here
- Erk’s 3 part “On the job” train special commences from the next episode.
- Promos: Ourobouros podcast, Made In the UK.
- Erk speaks to his mate Tim (who for Erk Pod purposes he has decided to call True Blue Tim) who is a freight train driver. We talk trains with some motor sport (V8 Supercar, IndyCar, IRL, A1GP) at the end.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 17. 61 minutes.
Welcome to episode 17 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. On this episode:
- This episode was recorded very very early.
- Guest today was Stephen from the Tea & Chat podcast
- Erk and Stephen talk about their podcasts, NaPodPoMo, NaNoWrMo, the Erk Pod characters in Stephen’s book and a lot more.
- Due to technical issues at Stephen’s end, this will also become episode 28 of Tea & Chat
- Part 1 – On the Job with Erk. Come along with Erk for a behind the scenes audio tour of being a train driver. If you want to read more, check out this interview on the Rambling Thoughts website that Erk gave about train driving as a career.
Above – Two trains before going into service. That’s Erk’s first train for the day on the right.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 18. 50 minutes.
Welcome to episode 18 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. On this episode:
- Round Table 11 announcement
- 24 Hour Podcast announcement
- Feedback from Shawno, Jen & Colin
- Promos: Ourobouros podcast & Made in the UK.
- Erk appears on episode 18 of Tech In Twenty
(another NaPodPoMo show) hosted by Luis and Jennifer talking about
social networking, mobile applications and more. Thanks to Jennifer for
allowing me to use the audio and appearing on the show.
- Follow Jennifer @epodcaster & Luis @pandaran on Twitter.
- On the Job with Erk – part 2. Join Erk as he has a meal break and
drives some more on his train. This series concludes tomorrow with part
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – 71 minutes
Welcome to episode 19 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In today’s episode for NaPodPoMo aka Nannapoopoo:
- Erk wakes a train up
- 24 Hour Podcast postponed
- Erk Pod Richard promo X 2 and Drue promo X 1
- Erk’s happy about no more Super Duper Early Mornings after today
- Feedback from Squeak regarding when he listened to Echo 16. He heard it on the 18th.
- Voicemail from Jim who got his dates mixed up
- On the job special part 3 (final) as Erk finishes his shift. Come
along with Erk for a behind the scenes audio tour of being a train
driver. If you want to read more, check out this interview on the Rambling Thoughts website that Erk gave about train driving as a career.
- An unusual interview for today after Erk bumps into BJ the Research
Guy at Campbelltown. A Driver Trainer and Trainee Driver took the train
over so Erk wandered to the middle and had a chat to the Polly the
Guard. We chatted about Rugby League, karaoke, radio and more. Erk does
a running commentary and the train talks, too!
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 20. 33 minutes
In this episode:
- Erk & Luke are recording live on King Street at Newtown very early in the morning after a night of Trivia (WE WON!) and karaoke.
- While Luke and I were standing on the corner of King Street and Enmore Road, we were joined by Mute MC from local hip hop band Reverse Polarities. We found out that he was from South Africa originally and has 5 nipples. It was an interesting and on the edge short discussion.
- After farewelling everyone, Erk goes for a walk to his car on King Street.
- Over the last few hours, there was a heavy storm and Erk talks a bit about that doing a commentary on the way home.
- Erk was trying to mention Stilgherrian Live about 3 times but kept seeing things that got him distracted. “Stil Live & Confused” as I call it is on the edge multimedia live show at 9.30pm Thursday nights Sydney time.
- Due to the fact that Erk has finished the on the job special, today’s train segment was Erk talking about driving trains in wet weather.
- 2am on the 20th and the show is in the can! And I didn’t need to find a guest for today after all! Luke appeared a few Echos ago so I still needed an extra voice. (But I’d have Luke on a podcast anytime I can get him!)
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 21. 29 minutes
Welcome to episode 21 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode:
- Guest: Pat aka Mr Westinghouse
- Welcome back to Erk Pod, Pat! ;)
- How Mr Westinghouse got his name
- Pat was a Koala
- Erk asks Pat about being in a marching band
- Important skill: Walking and not falling over while playing
- Marching Koalas website
- What does Mr Westinghouse like to play?
- Has Erk thought of a genius idea?
- Trains and the environment (source: CityRail website)
- Beach Pod ideas
- MUSIC: November by Red Yak. This song contains the theme music for this show “Echo Romeo Kilo One One. The song of courtesy of the Podsafe Music Network.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 22. 62 minutes
Welcome to episode 22 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode:
- Massive episode of FAIL. We almost had no mystery voice for today but Jim (aka @rockeye) stepped in at the last minute. We had memory card and Skype FAIL but still talked about football, UK TV, running and the wrong type of leaves on the train tracks.
- Erk takes you on a ferry ride from Manly to Circular Quay. Part 2 will follow tomorrow with a walk around the Sydney Harbour foreshore and part 3 will be the return ferry trip.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – 72 minutes
Welcome to episode 23 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode:
- Holy helicopters, Batman!
- Part 2 of Erk’s day out on Sydney Harbour
- Listener feedback from Jen from Hyper Nonsense/Inside My Head. Here’s a site for Jen to check out,Voice 123. Voice 123 helps to put Voice Over talent and clients together.
- Today’s Mystery Guest is Catherine (@ceibner) who joined us on Erk Pod Round Table 7. We talk about her recent trips to LA on the A380 and Melbourne. We also talk about her podcast Geek Girls Blog Podcast, networking and a lot more
Above (all photos) – Buskers from a previous visit to Circular Quay
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – 59 minutes
Welcome to episode 24 of NaPodPoMo’s Echo Romeo Kilo One One. On this episode:
NOTE: There was uploading FAIL. If you listened to this episode when it first came out, you might have heard the wrong episode.
- No mystery or guest voice today. Instead we hear various emergency related calls. Firstly we have ads from the Triple Zero emergency call service here in Australia. We then cross to Wales for a 999 call and then across to the US for some wacky 911 calls (albeit calls to 911 that did not need to be made) as listed on http://www.911callers.com
- Erk crashes the Australian Idol Finale rehearsal at the Sydney Opera House and walks around Circular Quay.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 25. 50 minutes
Welcome to episode 25 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode:
- No mystery voice
- Catching up with the rest of the Erk Pod Podcasting Commando Team
- Round Table XI
- Erk’s ferry ride from Circular Quay to Manly onboard the Collaroy
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 26. 24 minutes
Welcome to episode 26 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode, Erk talks about some facts and figures behind the ferry and train fleets of Sydney that he has spoken about in previous episodes.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 27. 32 minutes
Welcome to episode 27 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. On this episode, Erk talks about listener feedback and especially about the way that he has recorded Echo this month. Then we talk about the various types of jobs that train drivers can do at Erk’s Depot that people might not know about that are still important.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 28.
Welcome to episode 28 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. Not long to go now, folks! At the start of the episode, Erk takes you through the train wash. Once you are all clean after that, Erk reviews NaPodPoMo aka Nannapoopoo aka NaPodLiMo aka Noonoonoonoonoo aka “The War on Nannapoopoo”.
EDIT: Thanks to Shelle and Orange Tim for letting me know about the upload FAIL that this episode had. Mevio told me that the episode was uploaded and then it disappeared into thin air.
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 29
Welcome to episode 29 of Echo Romeo Kilo One One. In this episode:
- Erk bans Triple M after they axe Spoonman
- Driving in the rain
- Planning for the weekend, episode 30 and Erk Pod Round Table 11
- Rail Cleaning 101
- Ambient noise: Erk driving in heavy traffic in the rain
Echo Romeo Kilo One One – episode 30. Final daily episode for NaPodPoMo. Yay Erk!
Welcome to the final daily episode of Echo Romeo Kilo One One.
The final daily episode for NaPodPoMo as far as Erk is concerned! And to finish off these daily episodes, Erk goes out in style and has a chat with Shawno and Jen from Inside My Nonsense Shawnogram (ok, you know Shawno and Jen and their shows by now right, folks!). After chatting with Shawno and Jen about a range of topics (as usual!), Erk gets a bit soppy and thanks everyone to conclude the daily Echo Romeo Kilo One One. Echo will be back in a weekly outdoor format. Subscribe to the Echo feed via iTunes or http://www.echoromeokilooneone.com
And with that, boys and girls, sees me on the podium spraying champagne (ok, ok, sparkling white wine!) everywhere celebrating the end of the war against Nannapoopoo! I’m sure the rest of the Erk Pod Podcasting Commando Team will be joining me here soon on day 30 of NaPodPoMo!